Having a fully functional website is not enough to keep users on your site. Sometimes, users will have a frustrating experience on a site that causes them to navigate away from it.
Slow load time is one of the main reasons your users might switch to another site. The need to load images and other large files can slow down your site, contributing to poor performance.
You could simply get rid of the images, but that would make your site less attractive to users.
Luckily, using the best WordPress image optimizer plugin can help you get the best of both worlds, allowing you to retain the images while also speeding up your site’s performance.
There are plenty of premium and free plugins available, so to save you having to search through hundreds of image optimizer plugin options, we have curated a list of 10 of the best plugins for image optimization and included details of their features, interfaces, and more.
By the end of this article, you will be able to pick out the best plugin for your site. Also, we make our own recommendations at the end of the article, so stay tuned till the end to find the perfect plugin!
Here’s a quick index to help you navigate this article:
Now without any further delay, let us dive into the details.
List of 9 Best WordPress Image Optimizer Plugins
Smush Image Compression and Optimization are among the best image optimizers. They include numerous different features all in one package, including lazy loading, image compression, bulk smushing, and more.
The plugin processes GIFs, JPEGS, and PNGs on super-fast servers to free up your resources without affecting your performance.
Besides being an award-winning plugin, Smush has optimized billions of images with over one million active installations. Undoubtedly, it is one of the best plugins you can lay your hands on.
- Smush Image Compression and Optimization lets you optimize photos in a way that enables you to tackle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Images can cause poor performance and result in slow loading times. To keep this problem at bay, Smush comes with incorrect size detection.
- You can even convert the images in the WebP format with the pro version.
- To save time, Smush comes with a cool automated optimization feature that allows you to asynchronously auto-smush your attachments.
Smush has a clean, easy to use interface. The interface is modern and comes with elements that ask if you would like to optimize the new photo, old photo, or both.
The best part about Smush is that it provides some brief information about how much space you have saved on your website.
Smush comes with a free version that contains all the primary functionality. However, you can remove all the lossy compression and unlock additional features with the WP Smush pro version that starts at $60 per year.
2. Optimus – Smart Compression of Images WordPress Plugin
Optimus is another fantastic plugin for image optimization as it reduces the size of the file automatically by compressing your website’s images. The best thing about the plugin is that it compresses images without affecting the quality of the picture.
Besides compressing the files that you upload, it also compresses the multiple sized images that WordPress automatically creates (thumbnails, medium, large, small, etc.) for these media files.
Overall, Optimus is a premium plugin that is suitable if you are looking for a simple solution.
- Optimus comes with bulk optimization of existing images along with optimization of all preview images.
- Optimus gives you the option to specify whether you want it to keep or remove the image metadata such as EXIF, author, and copyright information for more file reduction.
- Optimus takes care of your privacy. After the image optimization process, the server automatically deletes all the files and does not store them.
- It supports WooCommerce, comes with WordPress multisite support, and loads blog pages extremely fast.
The interface of Optimus is easy to use. The settings menu is simple, making a great choice if you are looking for good, straightforward performance and are not interested in fine-tuning details.
However, to analyze the noticeable difference in compressed the images and non compressed images, you will have to compare the file sizes manually.
There’s a free version of Optimus that comes with all the necessary features, such as 100KB images, JPEG & PNG formats, and unlimited image optimization. However, you can unlock more features with the premium version starting at $29.
3. Imagify – WordPress Image Optimizer Plugin
Imagify is another excellent plugin that increases your site’s speed without ruining the image quality. It lets you use its advanced features directly in WordPress, and has capability to bulk-optimize photos.
The plugin comes with three levels of image compression and can also convert your images to WebP. What’s best about the plugin is that it is compatible with WooCommerce and NextGen gallery.
Imagify is regularly updated with new features and is a popular choice with over 300,000 installations.
- Imagify lets you resize your images from their online application or your CMS to integrate them at their ideal sizes. You can specify width, height, or by percentage.
- Your files and images are safe with Imagify as it comes with secure, encrypted connections.
- The plugin helps you compress images in all the standard formats such as JPGs, PNGs, GIFs, and PDFs.
- If you are using a free version, the maximum upload size of images is 2MB. However, with the paid version, you can upload images of any size without limitations.
Imagify comes with one of the best interfaces on the list. It has broken down the settings into three categories: optimization, general settings, and display options, with one page to manage settings.
What we love the most about Imagify’s interface is that the optimization buttons are large! If your priority is the best user interface, Imagify is the top pick on our list to consider.
The pricing is based on the size of the images. The plans start from $4.99 per month for 1GB of data per month.
Shortpixel image optimizer is a unique plugin on our list because it comes with both image optimization and PDF optimization.
Like other plugins, Shortpixel image optimizer automatically optimizes and resizes new images when you upload them. The plugin also comes with bulk optimization options as well as individual image optimization.
It also optimizes all the image thumbnails that are created by WordPress during the upload process.
Shortpixel image optimizer is a reliable, premium, frequently updated image optimizer plugin with all the essential features that you will need for your website to get the best speed.
- Shortpixel image optimizer is compatible with Retina2x, which means all the retina images are automatically compressed.
- The most important feature of the Shortpixel is that it comes with 24/7 support from their customer support team, so you can always get help if you need it.
- Shortpixel image optimizer is an excellent choice for photographers as you can remove or keep EXIF data from your compressed photos and images.
- It comes with features such as watermark plugin compatibility, reports and statics, multisite capability, WooCommerce compatibility, and more.
Shortpixel image optimizer comes with an attractive, beginner-friendly dashboard, similar to Imagify. However, Shortpixel also comes with additional tabs for advanced functions.
A beginner can easily use the default settings; you do not need any coding or technical knowledge to understand and use the interface.
The free plan is suitable for 100 images a month. The pro plan starts from $4.99 per month with the capacity of 5,000 images per month as well as other additional features.
EWWW Image Optimizer is another incredible image optimizer plugin that, once installed, automatically optimizes any of the images that you upload, including the photos that you have previously uploaded on your site.
One of the plugin’s significant advantages is that optimization occurs within your server rather than relying on a third-party.
This reduces the time taken for the optimization process and comes handy when you have an extensive media library, and it loads in a few seconds. EWWW Image Optimizer also has some other great features, including:
- EWWW Image Optimizer offers a cloud optimization feature that enables you to bypass the situation when the optimizer takes a little longer to perform its duties.
- EWWW Image Optimizer does not restrict you on the number of images or the size of the images, so you can upload the highest quality of images without affecting their quality.
- The plugin provides JPG, PDF, PNG, and GIF optimization. Additionally, there are options for lossless and lossy compression.
- All communication is secured with the highest SSL encryption.
The interface of the EWWW Image Optimizer plugin looks a little out-dated and comes with six tabs that you need to shift between.
However, the plugin comes with default features that work fine for most users. We think EWWW Image Optimizer could work on improving the plugin’s interface to make it more seamless.
EWWW Image Optimizer is free to use. It does not have a premium version.
With over 200,000+ installations, the plugin has gained a vital position in the market and gives you automatic optimization as soon as you activate it.
It also lets you optimize the images that you have uploaded previously, either one at a time or in bulk. The plugin helps to make your website faster through effortless optimization of your JPEG and PNG images.
- Compress JPEG & PNG Images is an appealing plugin with WooCommerce support. Moreover, it does not put any restrictions on the size of the images.
- Compress JPEG & PNG Images is the best plugin for animated PNGs. Additionally, it comes with coding for progressive JPEGs.
- Speed is one of the crucial factors for any website. To support this, Compress JPEG & PNG Images comes with advanced background optimization.
- The plugin lets you see your usage in the setting page and during bulk optimization.
The interface of Compress JPEG & PNG Images is basic and straightforward. It sticks to its main aim and provides various useful settings with a more specific setting page than any other plugin.
The plugin takes a few seconds to activate the optimization process. However, the interface does not include any overwhelming or confusing elements that would leave a beginner sitting for hours to understand what’s going on.
You can upload 100-500 images per month, depending on the thumbnail size. For anything over that limit, you will have to pay roughly around $0.009 per image for the next 9,500 images.
You can remove the limit from your dashboard by switching to a paid account quickly.
7. Optimole – Best Image Optimizer Plugin
The list of the best image optimizer plugins for WordPress would be incomplete without Optimole. The plugin comes with image optimization and a lazy load to improve your site’s performance.
With over 60,000 active installations, Optimole continues to bring out the best features with automatic optimization.
This incredible plugin is entirely cloud-based and processes your images quickly without any overloading your website server.
Optimole also uses lazy load to display pictures. The plugin goes a lot further than any other plugin on our list and should be your top pick if you are looking for the best image optimization plugin.
- Optimole comes with Image CDN, which means you can get your image served from Image CDN for free, taking advantage of their more than 200 server locations globally.
- Optimole makes sure that no one steals your photos and lets you add watermarks to your photos for extra security.
- The plugin automatically downgrades the image quality according to your visitor’s internet connection.
- Optimole is fully compatible with popular page builders like Beaver Builder, Elementor, and the new block editor in WordPress 5.0.
The interface of Optimole is modern and beginner-friendly. All the plugin needs to get started is a quick account creation and insertion of API keys.
Once you complete that, you can preview all the optimized photos in the dashboard and modify settings such as lazy loading, compression quality, image replacement, resizing of large images, and more.
Outside WordPress, it comes with its own dashboard where you can find monthly reports and detailed information about the size of the images.
The plugin comes with a free version, however, the features are limited. The premium version starts from $22.52 per year.
8. Imsanity – Robust Image Optimizer Plugin for WordPress
Imsanity is yet another robust plugin that will surprise you with its incredible features. Imsanity automatically resizes pictures to its ‘sane’ size using the WordPress image scaling functions.
Additionally, the plugin comes with a bulk resizing option to resize any previously uploaded images. Another great thing about Imsanity is that it is a reliable image optimizer plugin with over 300,000 installations, and is updated frequently.
Hence, you never have to worry about lousy performance.
- Imsanity is configurable with a max height, width, and quality. Imsanity automatically scales down the images to the configured size and replaces the original picture whenever a contributor uploads a higher-sized picture than the configured size.
- Imsanity converts PNG files to JPG format if you need greater compression. Similarly, it converts BMP files to JPG format to scale the image.
- Another unique feature of Imsanity is that it comes with translations. That means the plugin is available in various languages and automatically downloads the plugin in the language of your choosing.
- To resize the existing images, you can opt for the bulk-resizing feature.
The interface of Imsanity is pretty simple. The installation and activation process is simple. Once you have installed the plugin and activated it, it does not require any action on your part.
The plugin does all the work for you. Therefore it is ideal for beginners and pro users as well.
As the name suggests, WP Retina 2x is used widely to serve retina images on your WordPress site. WP Retina 2x is different from the other plugins; it’s in a class of its own, with numerous unique features.
The plugin creates the picture file required by the High-DP devices and displays them to your visitors accordingly. The retina images will be generated automatically and displayed on the retina devices.
Retina images are heavily resource-intensive as they are twice as large as the stock photos, so it is crucial to have a plugin that will help you serve them correctly. It does all the work for you effortlessly.
- WP Retina 2x lets you create responsive images, so you do not have to worry about the pictures looking different on the desktop and mobiles.
- WP Retina 2x comes with various methods to display images. This is because not all the methods work depending on your theme and website.
- The plugin comes with a refund policy, so if the plugin does not work for you, you can opt for a refund.
- As the plugin can be confusing for beginners, it comes with various tutorials, FAQs, and support forums to resolve your issues.
With a good theme and website, WP Retina 2x does not usually require any setup. All the default settings are perfectly fine. It is a plug and play plugin, so you do not have to worry about time-consuming installation.
When it comes to its user interface, it is clean, and one can quickly figure out all the settings without assistance.
The pro plans start from $24 per year. There are also lifetime plans starting from $149. The lifetime plan remains active forever, along with lifetime updates and support.
Conclusion: What Are the Top WordPress Image Optimizer Plugins?
There is no doubt that an image optimizer plays a crucial role in reducing an image’s size without affecting the quality, allowing for better speed and performance.
In this list, we have covered some of the best image optimizer plugins that come with incredible features of their own. However, if you are worried about how you will pick one from the list, let us make it simpler for you.
Similarly, if your priority is the best interface, we recommend picking Imagify. And if you need more than just an image optimizer, Shortpixel should be your top pick as it comes with PDF optimization as well as image optimization.
However, the ideal image optimization tools come down to your needs. Therefore, we suggest that you go through all the plugins mentioned on our list carefully and then select the one that fits your specific needs the best.
If there are any image optimizer plugins that we missed out on, let us know in the comment section below.
More WordPress Plugins:
- Best WordPress SEO Plugins
- Best WordPress Menu Plugins
- Best WordPress Backup Plugins
- Best WordPress Login Page Plugins
- Best WordPress Page Builder Plugins
- Best Contact Form Plugins for WordPress
- Best WordPress Ecommerce Plugins
- Best Genesis Framework Plugins
- Best WordPress Popup Plugins
- Best WordPress Countdown Plugins
- Best Amazon Affiliate WordPress Plugins